OPERATIONS DIRECTOR – COLCHESTER - £80K
SALARY & PACKAGE
£7,500 car allowance
20 days holiday
Hours – Monday – Friday – 08.30 – 17.30
This role is leading a business unit of 140 staff including 100 Engineers, 5 Supervisors, 2 Ops Manager, which we’re expecting to grow by 35% this year and the next 2 years consecutively. We are looking for an inspirational leader, who has bags of energy and someone he can trust to get the job done.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
- Manage team and ensure personal objectives are achieved through subordinate objectives feeding into Ops Director objectives, and service levels maintained at all times.
- Manage operations within the department maximising productivity and efficiency, ensuring engineers are fully utilised at all times to meet customer expectations and the service levels set by the company
- Manage work in progress and evaluate and review operational performance Make recommendations to meet Operational targets
- Hold monthly management and supervisor meetings and produce and implement any action plans in line with company policy
- Work with the CEO to achieve the Department and Company’s monthly and yearly financial and business objectives
- Compile reports as necessary for the Leadership team monthly meetings
- Respond to and resolve client complaints and enquiries within time limits set by the company and to the satisfaction of both parties
- Liaise with Help Desk to ensure correct service levels are achieved.
- Manage and monitor the stock of vans to ensure service levels are met
- Liaise with payroll regarding salary queries or issues.
- Ensure harmony across all business units within the Group.
- Be the main point of escalation, preventing un necessary escalations to the main board.
We are a dynamic and very fast-growing business, established only 6 years ago we now employ close to 350 staff and engineers with T/O broaching £75m.
Our business model is to have a few larger clients with estates of property to manage in the region of 300 – 1,000+.
We primarily work in the retail and food sectors although we are equally proficient in the commercial and industrial sector.
We are in growth mode and will not rest until we are in the £200m arena which means we want to be at least double the size we are today within 3 years.
Today we have 5 offices, Colchester is our main office and HQ, with a dedicated Training Academy and Operations Hub also in Colchester.
An operations location in Harlow (which serves our Doors division) and another in Newark where our Electrical division are based together with storage and warehousing.
office is central London, just off Old St, where we have office, meeting and conferencing facilities.
We are just about to open another office in Dublin to facilitate delivery of works there.
The business is disruptive in the FM arena, we challenge traditional methods of working with a aim is to make the industry more efficient using technology and vast amounts of very accurate data to help make decisions to shape it.
We have 2 main areas of operation:
- Shared Services - Direct delivery by our (almost 120) engineers for planned works, this includes PMV (Planned Maintenance Visits) on a monthly basis and compliance work which including, pressure tests, annual electrical and gas safety inspections. There can be over 5,000 of these on a monthly basis.
- Integrated Services - Reactive works, this is carried out by our supply chain partners, of which there are approximately 200 companies (and growing) located across the UK. Collectively, these companies employ circa 5,000 engineers (and growing) who are all interacting with our systems using the company App. They react to breakdowns on either a 4, 12 or 48 hour response, or complete small quoted works, fitting doors, installing new boilers, electrical appliances etc. There can be over 15,000 of these tasks on a monthly basis.
At the heart of us is a fully integrated IT system, (known as Freedom) it’s a cloud based bespoke management and operational tool and effectively runs all areas of our business operations including reporting and financial data. There are 5 main groups (as below) who have a version of the portal and can access data and interact with it, this includes logging and progressing jobs, calling reports, analysing trends, follow up, making /receiving requests etc. It links all areas of our business including our clients, supply chain, engineers etc. giving clarity and up to the minute accurate financial and operational data. THE CANDIDATE
Please contact Sean Hitchman on 020 7932 2800 / email@example.com
- Brief, punchy overview of your career history: We will be looking for relevant skills like managing large field based multiskilled Engineers (hard services) and office based support staff, leading management teams and managing multiple operational departments with P&L accountability
- Training, development and mentoring staff (succession slates); we are keen on up-skilling our field based & office based staff as a way keeping them engaged, we’ve even opened an academy to support this. Can you give examples of what you’ve done to keep you staff motivated and engaged? (We already offer a bonus scheme for our Engineers, which is paid out annually)
- Employee relations is also very important to this role and you may be asked about employee investigations you have led, or your ARO (appraisals, reviews & objectives) you have managed for your team, which has then been filtered down to the rest of the organisations you’ve worked at
- Think about compliance and Health & Safety
- Maximising strategy, or delivering significant change is also important. This role is three quarters man-management and 1 quarter strategy
- Working within a dynamic environment were growth has been quick and decisions are made quickly