We have a vacancy for a Senior/Principal Structural Engineer that is looking to create, improve and develop the built environment. Our client employs sound engineering principles and a broad knowledge base to assess, plan, design and oversee a wide variety of construction projects across the UK. They employs a total of 30 technical staff in the two structures departments.
They are looking for a new team member to join the current team of fifteen engineers and technicians at the Hemel Hempstead office. They work on a variety of projects large and small across most sectors including commercial, R&D, energy and residential and always have something interesting in the pipeline.
Within these sectors they also work on new build and refurbishment projects. They work collaboratively with our other in-house teams to deliver structural and civil engineering, traffic and transport engineering, building surveying and geomatics. There is a strong and supportive team culture and many exciting projects to work on, which creates an environment for constant technical learning and strong career development.
Our client offers a market leading re-numeration and benefits package, sample below.
- Competitive salary
- Pension scheme
- Private health care
- Salary Sacrifice Scheme
- Death in Service benefit
- Initial 25 days holiday (3 held for the Christmas period)
- Additional holiday can be accrued in accordance with the number of years services, up to a total of 28 days
- The option to bank, buy or sell holiday each year after one years’ service
- Long service awards including additional days off and cash awards
- Flexible working
- Paid professional membership
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Interest free loan for annual travel season ticket
- Yearly flu vaccine
- Eye tests paid and contribution towards glasses, if require for solely for VDU work
- Regular CPD seminars held in house (with lunch provided)
- Regular social events organised and funded by the company throughout the year
- Free refreshments, including tea, coffee, juice and fresh fruit
- Free on-site parking
- Assist and carry out structural designs in steel, concrete, masonry and timber.
- Liaise with clients, project teams and local authorities.
- Work closely with other members of the team and report to the project director.
- Be able to enhance and promote the image of the business by their actions.
- Responsible for the technical aspects of the projects.
- Prepare technical details for Architectural design and prepare technical specifications
- Liaise and attend meetings with Architects, clients, subcontractors and other professionals whilst carrying out duties and at all times represent the business, in a professional and courteous way.
- Assessing the sustainability and environmental impact of projects.
- Making sure the project complies with statutory requirements, especially health and safety.
Key skills & experience
- Design experience in all common building materials.
- An understanding of soil mechanics and foundation design.
- An ability to deal with clients with minimal supervision.
- Be able to professionally represent the Company.
- Minimum qualification - degree in Structural or Civil Engineering
- Minimum of 2 years’ post-qualification experience in relevant structural design
- An ability to prepare structural designs in all conventional materials and experience in refurbishment projects
- An ability to take a global view of structural design on a project, identifying potential problems and solutions and providing advice to clients on design options
- An ability to prepare schematic structural designs based on basic architectural layouts
- An ability to speak clearly, confidently, professionally and convincingly at meetings and on the telephone
- An ability to write clear and concise e-mails, letters and reports
- An ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
Our client has a friendly and supportive working environment, which has resulted in good morale and a low staff turnover. Come and meet them.
Our client is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.